Friday, September 5, 2008

Rock the Purple Shirt

I was shopping for running shirts in a big chain sports retailer this weekend, and in the women's department I found a whole section dedicated to breast cancer awareness apparel. Black hats with baby pink ribbons, hot pink wicking t-shirts, pants with pale pink writing up the side. Symbols of support for breast cancer research surrounded me.

When people buy these shirts, part of the purchase price is donated to cancer research, which is good, and, even better, when people wear the shirts, they go out in the world as a reminder that there are people battling cancer right now, and they need your continued support. I looked around, but I couldn't find any blood cancer shirts. No ball caps with plum ribbons, no dark purple technical tank tops. And I wondered, where are our shirts?

Well, I guess we will have to wear them. And not just my Team in Training team at the P.F. Chang's® Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon & 1/2 Marathon and not just the other half of my team at the Walt Disney World® Marathon, but all the Team in Training runners in races all over the country. We will rock the purple shirts for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

No comments: