Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Fundraising Page post from August 8th

****Want to be famous? Platinum Donors get their logo printed on my team's shirt!****

Thank you, Pajiba!

I'm training to participate in my first marathon ever as a member of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team In Training. I am completing this event in honor of my grandfather.

When I signed up for Team in Training, the 26.2 miles waiting for me in far-off January did not intimidate me. Want to know what did? See that thermometer over there? $3,800 is so much money. After initial misgivings (ok, icy fear ran through my body, I am not going to lie), I am resolved to meet that goal.

With the fear still gripping me, I sent out my first solicitation e-mail, to a website I visit daily. To my great delight, the immediate reply was, "yes, we will make it work" and even a thank you (more on this great philanthropist later, check back!) The tears were pouring from my eyes as I read the e-mail, that is a given, right?

Well, that encouragement was all it took. The fundraising fear has left me. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is such a worthy cause, guys. I love to run, and I have run in smaller races in the past, donated those $20 entrance fees that go to various charities, raised maybe $100 for that one breast cancer walk. Team in Training is not messing around y'all - $3,800 is a lot of money. Think of the good that chunk of change is going to do for cancer research.

Thank you for donating. YOU are a hero.

No comments: